Journal Update 017
- IPv6 support is back! I don’t plan on removing it again. This site needs to be present on the modern internet.
- Migrate from Gitea to Cgit + Gitolite3. Gitea is much more than I need. Cgit is lightweight and it loads faster.
- Change top-level domain from .com to .ch. Operation Not in Your Sites. See the War on Sharing. Nicksphere.com will redirect for about a year until it expires. So readers have a year to update their bookmarks/links.
- New self-hosted email. Posteo is great and I’ve no complaints about it. I still recommend Posteo to others. I just wanted more control over my email and it seemed silly not to self-host where I could. My PGP key has also been updated to reflect my new email.
- Remove corrections page. I have no motivation to write corrections. I don’t think anybody would read them anyway and it’s probably best to just make new entries to self-correct.
- Remove hosted services on the about page. My new VPS doesn’t have the resources for them. I still have the old VPS and domain name rented out for a year in advance. If anybody reading this needs a hosted service for a use case, just let me know. Otherwise I’ll dedicate those resources elsewhere.
- Website redesign! I changed the font to sans-serif which is much easier and more enjoyable to read than monospace. I also squashed the text to 780 pixels so less horizontal eye scanning is required. This is irrelevant to readers coming from Gemini and Atom/RSS.
- Remove dead links. I wrote a Python script to crawl the journal and detect all the dead links. Running this periodically should be sufficient to prevent link rot on Nicksphere. I may automate the process in the future.
- Remove articles and books from the promoted page. I’ve struggled with how to promote others’ work for a while. For now I’ve settled on promoting more general links on the promoted page, while writing individual entries to promote more specific things.
- Everything in the TODO.
A while back I said I don’t wish for my entries related to spirituality to be interpreted as truth-apt. I’ve complained about the difficulty in explaining spiritual concepts. But I think I’ve finally reached a point where I can explain myself better. So I’m retracting my previous stance. Please do interpret future entries related to spirituality as literally true.
🔗 1: Cgit
🔗 2: Operation In Our Sites
🔗 3: War on Sharing
🔗 4: Email
🔗 5: About Page
🔗 6: find_broken_links.py
🔗 5: Promoted Page
🔗 8: TODO.txt