Site Update 010
I did some more behind the scenes work on my site:
- Add Libreboot/osboot mirrors to the mirrors subdomain.
- Convert embedded videos to links. I don’t want my site to embed external resources, contacting other sites. All resources should be local.
- Add Freenet support. I want to support many platforms and supporting Freenet isn’t any inconvenience to me.
- Add license files in the site’s Git project. I did that to clarify the licensing of my writings for those looking at the Git repo.
- Prepend dates to content URIs (/YYYY/MM/DD/TITLE). This one is going to annoy RSS users because all my posts will reappear but I feel like it was worth it.
- Make About page more detailed.
- Change post licenses to CC-BY-SA 4.0. Previously they were under CC-BY-ND, but I don’t mind if others change my content and redistribute it. I don’t even care if they monetize it. I only care that I’m given credit for my work.
- Add Gemini support. I justified this in my last site update. I’ve converted my Hugo markdown files to Gemini and created a repo for the Gemini capsule.
I have 2 options when it comes to Gemini:
- Maintain 2 separate copies of my content. This adds significant overhead to updating the site and writing posts since I have to do everything twice.
- Maintain 1 copy of my content. It would have to be Gemini-first since HTML -> GMI is lossy, but GMI -> HTML is not. I’d have to write a custom CMS since I have too many posts to manually organize into tags and pages. I would also need the custom CMS to generate the Atom/RSS feeds for every tag. In the long run this would be simpler because I’d only have to maintain 1 copy of my content. Hugo would be scrapped.
Given my dislike of the modern web, I’m opting for option 2. My content will still be available on the web, only the site layout will change. The canonical repo will be 0gitnick.xyz-gmi and 0gitnick.xyz-www-v2 will be generated from 0gitnick.xyz-gmi using a custom CMS. The existing 0gitnick.xyz-www which is hugo based will be renamed to 0gitnick.xyz-www-v1. I will maintain it until 0gitnick.xyz-gmi and 0gitnick.xyz-www-v2 are ready, which I estimate to take at least a few months.
🔗 1: https://git.sr.ht/~nicholasjohnson/nicksphere-www
🔗 2: https://gemini.circumlunar.space/
🔗 3: /2021/02/21/site-update-009
🔗 4: https://git.sr.ht/~nicholasjohnson/nicksphere-gmi